Monday, August 23, 2010

God is moving...and we're beginning to listen.

Growing up in the church, I've heard many expressions to describe a great worship service. Descriptions like; "Whoa, the glory came down today," or "God truly moved among His people today." Hearing descriptions like these as a small child prompted my mind to think about the nature of God. I would think to myself, "Do we serve a God who only moves among his people every now and then or only when a certain song is played with just the right key change?" As a child I thought the answers to questions like these must be "yes" since it is only once or twice a month that I would hear people make comments like, "God moved among us today." I found myself profoundly confused because in the sciptures I read about a faithful and consistant God is unwavering in His love and devotion to His creation, but yet, I still heard remarks from others like, "God really spoke to me today," that were sometimes few and far between.

I finally came to the conclusion that it was not God who was sporadic and inconsistant. In fact, it was us, the people of God, who were sporadic and inconsistant in our listening. We fill our lives with so much noise that it is hard for us to listen out for the voice of God. God is always speaking and moving, but are we always listening and moving? John 10:26-27 says, "but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." I want to be one of his sheep.

All that to say this. The last few weeks I've witnessed students really begin to listen out for the voice of God. I am currently witnessing students who are eagerly moving towards God to seek and do His will. These students are not perfect by no means, they are still american teenagers, but something has clicked inside and is prompting them towards this move towards the voice of God. Last night during The Foundation, conversation and discussion was alive as we continued our study entitled, "Why Jesus?" Last night we were exploring, "Is Jesus the only way to heaven?" Together, we talked about the passion of our Christ and just why he had to die. We realized that it was because Jesus died and was raised again 3 days later that we have salvation, and in fact, he truly is the only way to heaven.

1 comment: